Thursday, February 14, 2013

What Would You Do?

I think everybody, on occasion have  those moments where we ask, "What would I do if...?"





One of these scenarios have been on my mind for a while. I have been helping out at a local gym for the last couple of months. Frankly, they were struggling in pretty much every aspect of running a gym. Their hours were weird, their programming was off (at best), and dangerous (at worst). They had retention problems, and couldn't get anybody in the door.

This is where I stepped in. I wasn't going to run their business, but I felt that I could at least help get the programming and training up to par - which I did...

In fact, I picked up a bit of a following, of sorts. People liked "my" programming, and liked properly being shown form, range of motion, and intensity. (In hindsight, it really wasn't "my" programming, it was proper programming based on proper CrossFit principles.)

While progress was being made in some aspects of this gym, it was faltering in others. I saw the writing on the wall. I knew that it was probably going to crumble eventually, and that somebody would be left to clean up the inevidable mess when the S*#@ hit the fan.

 Well, that day came with less than 24 hours' notice.

After a flurry of texts, phone calls, meetings, and conversations, me and two other guys were able to crudely assemble the framework (albeit, and admittedly made from proverbial toothpicks) for a new garage gym - a refuge, if you will. Yes, within 72 hours the three of us went from having an abstract idea of maybe, possibly, eventually, in the future opening up a gym, to getting the news, finding and prepping a location, locating and acquiring SOME equipment, and prepping appropriate paperwork - all the while, keeping everybody "in the loop"

This story doesn't have an ending yet. Things are still in shambles for the time being. Which leave me the question? If this situation was dumped on you, would you do? Would you let it go? Would you allow the months of gains made by people fall by the wayside? Would you (or COULD you) walk away?

...Or would you throw caution to the wind and start a new gym with nothing more than 72 hours, a few pieces of scattered gym equipment, a location not remotely closely prepared to start classes, no seed money, but an eager client base of 1-2 dozen people, two knowledgeable and eager partners, and a desire to help?

So, What WOULD you do?

1 comment:

  1. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot.... ha ha freak ya dude its hard to regret doin what you love GO FOR IT!!!

    ReplyDelete